DevOps & Systems Engineer
Being a developer at Tandem is all about collaborating with clients to help them solve meaningful business challenges. We want to work on software with a positive social impact and feel good about what we do. We typically spend our days at the Tandem office in Bucktown (Chicago) or the Financial District (San Francisco), working directly with our clients in small teams, building and providing guidance on products, and collaborating with designers.
If you like writing well-tested, maintainable, and clean code, that's fantastic! We do too. We hope you're also excited about participating in client meetings, discovery sessions, and design discussions, as well as engaging the wider community through things like open source, blogging, meetups, podcasting, and conference talks.
Our vision is to create a supportive, collaborative environment and empower people to do the best work of their lives. Everyone says that, though, right? The difference between Tandem and a typical tech company is that instead of bringing in snacks and a ping pong table and calling that "culture," we do the behind-the-scenes work to foster an environment where everyone teaches and everyone learns. Egos are low, and we're all genuinely interested in seeing everyone else succeed. If this sounds good to you, please read on.
(But we do have snacks.)
In this role you will...
- Work closely with your teammates and customers to discover the best possible approach to solve customer needs
- Provide empathetic guidance and feedback to the client on decisions during a project
- Work with clients to make sure their project stays on time and within budget
- Champion and evolve our internal Tandem development processes and capabilities
- Write well-tested and maintainable code
- Walk the line between pragmatism and theory to build the best solution in each situation
- Shift between various programming languages, frameworks, and platforms as the industry and customer needs evolve
- Pair program with other Tandem team members and/or client developers every day
- Collaborate with project managers and project leads in planning and estimation sessions
- Teach and learn from your fellow team members
- Above all, be compassionate, optimistic, and people-focused
Required Technical Skills
- Background in developing and releasing software products in public and/or private cloud environments
- Strong knowledge of Linux server environments
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools to automate environment provisioning and application deployments
- Experience in various continuous development tools, particularly Jenkins
- Experience in various configuration orchestration tools, particularly Terraform
- Experience in one or more configuration management tools, particularly Ansible
- Strong interest in learning more about software security
- Familiarity with hardware/software load balancers particularly ELB
- Familiarity with dynamic scaling
- Strong desire to break down complex problems into steps that drive customer value
- Experience of working in an agile software development life cycle
Desired Technical Skills
- Experience with software security, secure coding, or software assurance tools and techniques
- Experience conducting development in highly secured environments
- Familiarity with Microsoft technologies, particularly Active Directory
- Solid understanding of systems monitoring, alerting and analytics
- Working knowledge of local and wide area networking and associated technologies, e.g. switches, routers, firewalls, VPNs
- Excellent communication skills; we like to describe ourselves as concise, accurate, and warm, but direct
- Experience working in collaborative team environments - where you are counted on, and you can count on your team
- Highly attentive to details
- Focused on productivity and delivering value
- Self-directed and capable of adding value without micromanagement
- Alignment with Tandem's core values
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Able to submit to a criminal background check
- Willing to undergo security clearance process (not required to be currently cleared)
Benefits for Full-Time Applicants
- Healthy work/life balance with no overtime requests; work 40 hours and go home
- Competitive annual salary
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid life insurance policy
- 100% employer paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks of paid time off to start, increasing by 1 week each year up to 5 weeks off
- 3 paid conference days each year
- Catered lunch and breakfast in-office from local restaurants multiple days each week (if located in Chicago or SF)
- Annual learning budget for conferences, courses, online training, books, etc.
- Yearly pre-tax transit benefit
- Eligibility to enroll in the Tandem retirement plan with 3% employer matching after 6 months of employment
Please note we are also open to contract-to-hire opportunities.
ATTENTION: you will not be considered for this position unless you provide answers to the questions on the application form.