DevOps and Infrastructure Engineer
Being an engineer at Tandem is all about collaborating with clients to help them solve meaningful business challenges. We want to work on software that makes an impact and feel good about what we do. We typically spend our days at the Tandem office in Bucktown (Chicago) or the Financial District (San Francisco), working directly with our clients in small teams, building and providing guidance on products, and collaborating with designers.
If you like writing well-tested, maintainable, and clean code, that's fantastic! We do too. We hope you're also excited about participating in client meetings, discovery sessions, and design discussions, as well as engaging the wider community through things like open source, blogging, meetups, podcasting, and conference talks.
Our vision is to create a supportive, collaborative environment and empower people to do the best work of their lives. Everyone says that, though, right? The difference between Tandem and a typical tech company is that instead of bringing in snacks and a ping pong table and calling that "culture," we do the behind-the-scenes work to foster an environment where everyone teaches and everyone learns. Egos are low, and we're all genuinely interested in seeing everyone else succeed. If this sounds good to you, please read on.
(But we do have snacks.)
As a DevOps engineer, you should be equally comfortable writing application code, building infrastructure via infrastructure-as-code, providing monitoring and alerting capabilities, and reacting appropriately to information captured in monitoring systems and system incidents. You should see yourself as a mentor and evangelist as well as a developer and operations engineer.
In this role you will...
- Work closely with your teammates and customers to discover the best possible approach to solve customer needs
- Provide empathetic guidance and feedback to the client on decisions during a project
- Build and support our automated CI/CD pipelines
- Ensure that, where applicable, our infrastructure and processes meet regulatory compliance standards such as HIPAA
Identify and resolve system issues in partnership with developers as they come up across multiple projects. Identify root causes, propose solutions, and work with project managers to plan preventative work
- Spend some portion of your time pairing with software engineers to write code for web applications
- Consult with internal and external stakeholders to identify the best delivery solutions for our clients
- Maintain and streamline existing development tools, environment and best practices across our consultancy and ensure they are followed to assure quality and long-term health, security and performance of the products we maintain
- Seek opportunities to minimize cost and complexity in our tooling, processes, and infrastructure
- Collaborate with project managers and project leads in planning and estimation sessions
- Teach and learn from your fellow team members
- Above all, be compassionate, optimistic, and people-focused
Desired Technical Skills
- Familiarity with Linux and process management
- Experience with configuration management tools like as Ansible, Packer, and Terraform is hoped for
- Experience with Docker or other containerization approaches
- Experience configuring applications to send and receive web traffic securely
- Familiarity with common security vulnerabilities across the stack and how to prevent them
- Prior experience building and managing services in AWS or similar high-performance cloud environments.
- Proficiency with at least one scripting language like Ruby or Python
- Hands on experience with MVC frameworks like Ruby on Rails or Django
- Hands on experience with PAAS services like Heroku
- Hands on experience with GitHub, Jenkins/CircleCi, New Relic, Honeybadger
- Some experience with JS front-end frameworks and libraries such as React, willingness to learn more
- Experience with bundlers and package managers such as Yarn, npm, and Webpack
- Strong desire to break down complex problems into steps that drive customer value
- Experience working in an agile software development life cycle
- Ability to communicate transparently about your work with developers and clients
- Strong desire and ability for documentation
- Excellent communication skills; we like to describe ourselves as concise, accurate, and warm, but direct
- Experience working in collaborative team environments - where you are counted on, and you can count on your team
- Highly attentive to details
- Focused on productivity and delivering value
- Self-directed and capable of adding value without micromanagement
- Alignment with Tandem's core values
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Able to submit to a criminal background check
- Willing to undergo security clearance process (not required to be currently cleared)
Benefits for Full-Time Applicants
- Healthy work/life balance with no overtime requests; work 40 hours and go home
- Competitive annual salary
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid life insurance policy
- 100% employer paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks of paid time off to start, increasing by 1 week each year up to 5 weeks off
- 3 paid conference days each year
- Catered lunch and breakfast in-office from local restaurants multiple days each week (if located in Chicago or SF)
- Annual learning budget for conferences, courses, online training, books, etc.
- Yearly pre-tax transit benefit
- Eligibility to enroll in the Tandem retirement plan with 3% employer matching after 6 months of employment
PLEASE NOTE: applicantions which do not include thoughtful responses to the questions on the following screen will be disregarded.