Software Development Director (SF)
Our mission at Tandem is to help our clients solve business, customer, and social challenges through a co-creative process that results in meaningful improvements in the lives of users and the effectiveness of business. And, to do so in an environment that supports us in doing the best work of our lives.
Our vision is to build a supportive, collaborative environment and empower people to do the best work of their lives. Everyone says that, though, right? The difference between Tandem and a typical tech company is that instead of bringing in snacks and a ping pong table and calling that "culture," we do the behind-the-scenes work to foster an environment where everyone teaches and everyone learns. Egos are low, and we're all genuinely passionate about seeing everyone else succeed. We do have snacks though ;)
We're looking for a Software Development Director to join the launch team in our new San Francisco office. The software development manager at Tandem has four major missions:
- Develop their team through hiring and growth - managing and/or participating in the hiring process and running point on the professional growth and performance management of their direct reports.
- Support business development in solution design - working with the local business development team to help conceive, scope, and estimate solutions for clients.
- Technical leadership and project oversight - ensuring that our process is followed and technical solutions are up to our standards on client projects, jumping in to be hands-on when needed.
- Participate in the technical direction of the company - providing feedback from the local team to the wider company leadership on ways we can improve our technical capabilities, processes, and team as well as creating and sharing your thoughts with the larger community through talks, blog posts, and events.
The environment and work at Tandem is very team-oriented, highly visible, and focused on business value. And like all team members, the Software Development Director will be expected to exemplify Tandem’s values in the execution of their work.
In this role you will...
- Get your hands dirty in some code when needed for architecture, oversight, mentoring, or just plain old helping out delivering features for clients
- Review and interview applicants for software development positions, guide them through the hiring process, and work with HR to establish offers for employment
- Oversee the professional development of direct reports through 1:1s and official feedback and review processes
- Mentor individuals on your team on technical, consulting, and professional matters to continuously improve
- Work closely with the business development team and clients to design and recommend solutions, and to scope and estimate projects
- Participate in project discovery sessions with designers and researchers to establish project objectives and requirements
- Work with project leads to provide technical guidance and direction on client projects
- Identify opportunities for the team to learn and grow in new technical directions when experimentation is safe
- Meet weekly with company leadership to provide updates, raise issues, and participate in solving problems and improving the company overall
- Above all, be compassionate, resilient, and people-focused!
- 5+ years of prior experience as a professional software developer, some consulting experience preferred
- Strong experience in at least one (or more) of the following languages: Ruby, Python, Javscript, Java, Objective-C, Swift, or similar
- Experience in a modern web application framework: Rails, Django, Flask, Node or similar
- Strong skills with automated testing and Test Driven Development
Leadership and Personal Skills
- 2+ years of prior experience leading teams of software developers in agile environments or equival
- Excellent communication skills, we like to describe ourselves as concise, accurate, and warm, but direct
- Strong meeting and working group facilitation skills
- Experience helping to define project requirements and estimates
- Demonstrated business and product management knowledge
- Experience with identifying the needs for skills on the team and evaluating and hiring based on these needs
- A comfort level with pair programming and mentoring more junior team members
- Highly attentive to detail and able to maintain a handle on multiple projects
- A focus on productivity and delivering value
- Strong consulting skills and emotional intelligence (rapport building, empathy, humility, etc)
- Work with a highly collaborative and values-driven team
- Healthy work/life balance with no overtime requests...work 40 hours, go home ;)
- A competitive annual salary
- 100% employer paid plans for medical plans for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid plans for dental and vision for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid life insurance policy
- 100% employer paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off increasing by 1 week each year up to 5 weeks off
- 3 paid conference days each year
- 1 optional work-from-home day per week
- Annual learning budget for courses, online training, books, etc.
- Yearly pre-tax transit benefit
- Eligibility to enroll in the Tandem retirement plan with 3% employer matching after 6 months of employment