Senior Software Engineer
We’re hiring a Senior Software Engineer to join our team. Our Senior Software Engineers have strong technical and consulting skills and demonstrated leadership ability. Read on to learn about us, what it’s like to work with us, what we’re looking for, and our hiring process.
Who we are
Tandem is a technology and innovation studio that specializes in strategy, design, and development. We create custom software that inspires people and drives business forward. As a talented group of thinkers and makers from many disciplines, we are brought together by a shared goal: do work that changes the world for the better. We always focus first on people — our clients, their customers, and our team — by collaborating to solve meaningful business challenges. We enjoy designing and building ambitious digital products and tools.
What it’s like to work with us
As a consultancy, we have the opportunity to solve a lot of different problems. We work directly with our clients in small teams, building and providing guidance on products, and collaborating with designers. Our unique approach to consulting leads to a better developer experience and a higher quality of work life.
As engineers, we love well-tested, maintainable, and clean code! We are always encouraging each other to write better code through pair programming and code reviews. We’re generalists and strive to make sure that we’re choosing the best technology to solve our clients’ problems. Right now we’re loving Postgres, Rails, and React as our greenfield tech stack, but we occasionally have projects in the Python, Java, .NET, Node, iOS, or ReactNative ecosystems. Nothing is off-limits, so we never turn down the opportunity to learn a new technology!
Our vision is to create a supportive, collaborative environment and empower people to deliver work they’re proud of. At Tandem, everyone teaches and everyone learns. Egos are low, and we're all genuinely interested in seeing everyone else succeed.
Who you are
We would love to hear from you if you
- Have an expert proficiency in at least 1 full stack, including relational database, server-side framework, and client-side framework
- Have experience making complex relational data modeling decisions
- Believe in continuous integration and continuous development
- Have experience working in an agile development process
- Love to learn and looks at challenges as learning opportunities
- Value a breadth of knowledge and enjoy being a generalist developer
- Delight in problem solving and strive to make the right decisions for the problem at hand
- Are excited about software testing and always ship well-tested code
- Align with our core values and genuinely want to do work that makes a positive impact
In this role, you will...
For a full list of responsibilities, please check out our Software Engineering Career Path.
- Serve as technical lead on projects which includes:
- Making technology selections
- Establishing architecture
- Managing the workload and work assignments of other team members while staying conscientious of individuals’ strengths, weaknesses, and goals and playing to these when managing work assignments
- Collaborating with design and/or product leads on scope and definition
- Demonstrate strong technical abilities through regular contribution of quality code and sound architectural decisions
- Tackle highly complex tasks and features on your own with minimal rework and in a way that is easily understandable by the team as a whole
- Make and lead wide-sweeping refactorings of codebases
- Identify and solve strategic problems, thinking about the whole system
- Tackle technical debt proactively within the framework of overall client and project objectives
- Help define roadmaps and set the vision for long-term projects
- Provide support to other team members in languages and frameworks that you may be less comfortable with by drawing on past experiences and breadth of technical knowledge
Professional & Consulting Skills
- Successfully plan and deliver large, long-term projects and adeptly negotiate scope tradeoffs with clients
- Explain and advocate for technical and business decisions to clients
- Mentor your teammates in an open, respectful, flexible, and empathetic manner
- Manage client expectations and have difficult conversations with clients
- Handle uncertainty within project’s scope of work and team effectively
How we work and our benefits
We care deeply about our team and strive to provide flexibility and benefits so each person can prioritize the things they care about.
For example, our core working hours are from 10am-4pm. The goal of core hours is to ensure that we can pair and collaborate in a high-bandwidth way during the majority of our workday while allowing us the flexibility that real life requires. You may notice that 10am-4pm for five days doesn't add up to 40 hours - yet 40 is generally what we expect to do. How you organize your work time outside of core hours is at your discretion, whether this is early mornings, late evenings, or weekends (though weekend work is not recommended).
Our other benefits include
- Healthy work/life balance with no overtime requests; work 40 hours and go home
- Minimal travel; work mostly at our offices (not on-site at client offices)
- Competitive annual salary
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid life insurance policy
- 100% employer paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks of paid time off to start, increasing by 1 week each year up to 5 weeks off
- 3 paid conference days each year
- 1 optional work-from-home day per week
- Catered lunch and breakfast in-office from local restaurants multiple days each week
- Annual learning budget for conferences, courses, online training, books, etc.
- Yearly pre-tax transit benefit
- Eligibility to enroll in the Tandem retirement plan with 3% employer matching after 6 months of employment
For a full list of all benefits and employment policies, please check out our Company Handbook.
Our hiring process
We use a 4 step process.
- Phone screen
- Take home code challenge
- Onsite/remote pairing interview
The first step in our process is to fill out our application form. You will be asked a few questions on that form. We value thoughtful responses and will disregard applications without them.
If we decide to move forward, we’ll follow up with you to schedule an initial phone screen with one of our engineers. Our phone screens are non-/low-technical. We won’t be grilling you on database design but are interested in learning about your career trajectory, professional experiences, and what interests you.
If that goes well, we’ll send you our take-home code challenge. We know that everyone has different responsibilities and priorities in life, and we want to give you the time you need to shine. You will have 7 days to complete your challenge and submit it. Once submitted, we’ll schedule a 1-hour review call where you will meet with 2 of our engineers to talk through your problem-solving approach and decisions.
Finally, the last step in our process if we choose is to do a pairing interview with you. You’ll have the chance to pair with many of our engineering team on real clients and problems that we’re solving that day. If you’re in the Chicago area, we’ll bring you onsite and you’ll also have the chance to grab lunch with our designers to see how we work together.
Who you’ll be working with
To get a sense for us, check out these posts about and by our team.
Yaasss! How Queer Eye Helped Me See the Consultant I Could Be by Erin Hochstatter
You Too Can Animate: SVG Line Animation by Max Oppenheimer
Imposter Syndrome: Feels, Not Reals by Mina Slater
Punching Fear in the Face: How Apprentices Should View Programming by Shamyle Ghazali
PLEASE NOTE: applications which do not include thoughtful responses to the questions on the following screen will be disregarded.